Tuesday 16 April 2013

Damug Warfang Portrait


He’s so badass he don’t care that he is cutting up his fingers on that blade.
Jez’, after three attempts, generally being busy with other things and my brain just melting after doing all these portraits here is Damug’s ‘mug’ (yes, I will hammer in that pun until I kill someone).
I like how the armour turned out and I had fun painting that. Also a chance of play around with some custom brushes for the chain mail and chain.

Out of the characters in this project he is the one that probably sticks the closest to how I have imagined him years ago when I first did these portraits, with the blue/grey fur and facial structure, he even has the same long leather coat. I know that in the book he is never described with a leather coat, but that’s how I picture him. Besides, a coat is a tough handy thing for both land and sea, much more convenient than a cloak when you’re just roaming around, surely?

As to the book itself, the Long Patrol, it felt very much like those classic war stories, like Bernard Cornwell’s “Sharpe” books, and it feels like the odd one out in the Redwall series…don’t know, maybe its just me. It was nice to see the ancient abbey actually showing its age and collapsing so those pesky heroes can’t take it too much for granted and just hide inside and snipe from the walls. They actually had to get out there to defend themselves, which is a welcome change. Ups the threat value.

To the left are the tribal marks that I used on the flags and for his tattoos. It was fun playing around with the designs.

His Redwall Wiki Page
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom brushes: “Tanathe’s Lazy Brush set”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Character from Brian Jacques’ book The Long Patrol
Character Design by Myself.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment