Sunday 10 April 2011

Blueboots: Part 1

Having the big book, the Ballad of Rango: the Art and Making of an Outlaw Film delivered to my door today I couldn't help but get into a western mood. Brainstorm this broad genre I wanted to paint something a bit different and quirky (not surprising seeing as it was Rango that inspired me in the first place), but it quickly became too bizarre and ridiculous, from a cowboy rustling stegosauruses to riding a jack-rabbit. Eventually the idea of a giant rattlesnake stuck (haha, Rattlesnake Jake anyone?), at least it fitted with the scene. Below is thumbnails exploring the composistion I had playing around in my head.





Another form of inspiration unexpectedly came when I was chilling on Doll Divine and was clicking "Random Outfit" on the Adventurer Maker Game and I ended up with this nifty look. For some reason the blue boots made me chuckle, picturing a buff cowboy making his final stand... in blue boots. The scarf is also something I wouldn't have thought could work in a western outfit so I'll give that a go. Below is also a colour thumbnail.









No comments:

Post a Comment