Saturday 10 July 2010

Joker: Part 1 (Insert Deck Card Pun Here)








I've have wanted to do fan-art of the Joker designed by the brilliant artist Jeff Matsuda for ages! I know a lot of people hate his design, though I can't see why. You can't compare Matsuda's Joker no more than you can compare Ledger's Joker to Nicholson's, they are completely different species. I have always liked TV programs/cartoons/films that look really different and stand out, like the Ginga series and Silverwing cartoon and this is no different. You gotta admire a Joker that can almost physically match the Batman and doesn't make lame attempts when in hand-to-hand combat. And that crazy hair-do! Makes mine look neat (and that's really saying something. haha!) Actually, I think it was watching this animated series that got me into Batman in the first place (I don't think the original series was showing on TV.) As dedication seems about time I did some Bat-art.
















Originally I planned it to be a House of Flying Dagger's Paraody ( I must add at this time I had this idea stewing in my head since December-ish) because Joker's sleeves in his first appearance were sooo long, like the girl in the film during the Echo Game scene. It seemed wise to turn away from that film and so the first thumbnail was thought up. Still, I was going "Nergggg!" mentally. Mainly because it didn't seem to make any sense. So I'm going for something more menacing rather than with action. It's going to be quite a dark, tonally, and hopefully will pull off alright. Only problem I can think of is my problem with hands, and as Joker's hands are going to be one of the main focus points I need to get them right. Luckily Matsuda's Joker has quite boxy/square hands so it should be quite simple. All I have to do is incorporate that into my photo reference. Boy! It ain't easy to control a camera with one hand while doing a pose with the other. And yes, my skin really is that pale... almost as pale as his...oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment