Thursday 8 July 2010

Redtooth: Part 8 ( Almost Done)



Time to get some reference, as I wasn't sure how to go on. Looking at the picture of the Southern Giant Slender-Tailed Cloud Rat I noticed the hands and feet are black with a fleshy colour on their palms/pads and the claws are a sort of ivory. I then moved onto figuring out the dark markings on the back and neck, it also helps to separate the arm from the thigh a bit more. Hair was added afterwards, I sort of imagine Red' spiking up his neck fur ( inspired by how teen's today use gel and also the threat pose of cats/other mammals) to make him seem more intimidating. It was hard to get it look satisfactory, as using a hair-brush stamp made it look too repetitive. So I literally gave him hair cuts with a small eraser on 100% opacity and cut away at the strands so they now look more individual and a bit more grizzly.




Now time to add textures. The Rusty Texture is from ImagineFX's resource files and the Purple-stuff is my own experiment with paint. The Rust is going to be used for the metal and the purple for the skin. I mask so that the textures are only on their certain part and put the layer filter to "Soft Light" and lower the opacity down till its barely visible, but just enough to give some texture.




So, I'm just thinking of adding rust to the metal, but I'm not sure it really needs that level of detail... we'll see. That hand is also annoying me. Need to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment