Tuesday 15 March 2011

Cretaceous Griffins: Part 1


Which is it? Griffin ; Griffon or Gryphon ? The holy trinity of "How-the-hell-do-you-want-me-to spell it?!" ... Although the spell-checker says "Griffin" is correct... Doesn't really matter... Just a tad annoying when researching that you have to type in 3 different abbreviations.

...but enough of my strange rants. I decided to base my next painting on what I saw in an ink blot (or Rorschach test). What I saw were two griffins in that "coat-of-arms" pose. So, I let that stew in my mind for a while before deciding I wanted two griffins being chased by a meteor storm. That eventually swam into the idea of the K-T extinction even (that destroyed the Dinosaurs) And seeing as they are in the Cretaceous period then the griffins themselves will have to look prehistoric...
Here are some thumbnails and a few of the studies and the final sketch (that has been fixed a little in Photoshop) that will be used in the picture. I plan the griffins to be quite small in retrospect to the rest of the layout, so the K-T looks massive, so the small details like claws are not so important and will probably be better to deal with in Photoshop were I can be more precise than with pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment