Wednesday 23 March 2011

Cretaceous Griffins: Part 2


Above is the thumbnail sketch I quickly did in Photoshop to plan the composition and what is going on in the chaos. Watching Disney's Dinosaur was a great inspiration (especially the Special Collector's Edition which had lots of fabulous concept art and how they made the meteorite impact effects) and help with researching what an impact would look like, because there is no real reference of course.


I started in ArtRage because I wanted a traditional feel for the background, at least. However this proves problematic in that you can't flip horizontally to check composition and I struggled to make a good looking cloud (custom brushes would have helped). Therefore, when I exported it into Photoshop I found that the cloud was completely spoiling the whole image. REDO! With a custom cloud brush I was quickly able to lay down a better composition. I think the problem was that the cloud in ArtRage looked like one solid mass, whereas I was aiming for at least two 'layer' of depth, a foreground thick fiery blast that was radiating from the actual impact and then a smoke rising skywards in the distance. Hopefully things will be more streamline now.



No comments:

Post a Comment