Tuesday 19 October 2010

Panda Leopard: Part 5 (Mountains)

At first the background was too green/grey, so with a sponge I did a gradient of lighter blue towards the centre. I then began to block out the mountains. They gave me a bit of pain, for I wasn't sure what palette to use. That'll teach me for not having some reference in front of me *slaps wrist*. I was also figuring out the perspective and how faded into the background will the further mountains be?
These are the mountains after "snow" has been added to them. Looking at photo's I image the snow would reflect the colour of the sky, so I used a bright blue instead of white. Also needed some places where there is shadow and the rock is showing through. However, I'm not happy with the contrast. There is too much and it'll distract from the focal point of the ibex and panda-leopard. Looking at the mountain at the far left, I decide that's the type of unfocused contrast I want for the rest.



Out comes that sponge again. This time I wet it and gradually wash it with light blue. It removes distracting contrast and detail while pushing them into the background more.
However, I will look at some more mountain photo's for reference to see how to better the background. Perhaps clouds circling around the peaks or fog in their gullies?

No comments:

Post a Comment