Sunday 31 October 2010

Harpying on


This is the sketch of a series of three creature designs from Beagle's classic fantasy novel, The Last Unicorn, that I plan to do. I will be painting the Harpy Kelaino ( or Celaeno, as it is written in the book), the Red Bull and the Unicorn herself.
The harpy has references of a Andean Condor (the head crest mostly) and for some reason I wanted a long neck and tail. Those feet/talons gave me trouble to work out, but I think their OK now... I think...
Kelaino is also known as "She Who is Dark" which makes her sound the most sinister of her sisters: Aello ("The Wind-Footed One"),Okypete ("She Who Is Swift in Flight"),Okythoe ("The Swift Footed") and Mapsaura ("A Blast of Wind"). So I'll probably have a dark colouration for her feathers/skin and place her in a gloomy setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment