Friday 3 December 2010

Haggard

I do plan to do a quick colour version of this sketch in Photoshop... just don't know when.
Someone responding to my Harpy Celaeno said they would be interesting to see a King Haggard and Prince Lir character design (both from the same book, The Last Unicorn). I was happy to comply and slightly curious myself on designing these two, for I don't usually draw humans never mind trying to make a unique interesting character. Anyway, this is my take on the main villain, King Haggard. I applied the same principles onto him as I did to Erik in my Phantom of the Opera piece, they both being described as skeletal. Haggard is a sharp cruel character so a lot of sharp angles seemed to fit. Also he is described as coming from a foreign land (I think... I'll check some when) so it gave room to play around with his features (who's to say that all the humanoids from Haggard's birthplace don't look like this?). Some tattoos also seemed to fit so I dunked some on.
Hmmm, is his head too big?
Must remember Lir must pretty much be his foster-father's opposite in character and appearance.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!I'm Etain from dA. I really like the sharp angles and irregular shape to his head. The tattoos are really sinister, especially that on over his eye. His hands are really creepy, in a very evil way.

    Not sure if this is really true or not but he reminds me of a very starved Patrick Steward. In short I really like it. :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. A starved Patrick Steward, haha! I can acutally see it though. I'm glad you like the hands too, they gave me no limit of grief trying to get something that looks right.

    ReplyDelete