Friday 20 January 2012

Wokulo Sketch

I haven't done a good old pencil sketch in a while, mostly its all digital sketching and my external hard-drive is one big sketchbook. Of course I realised this wasn't such a great thing so I whipped out a new sketchbook I got for Christmas, flicked through my copy Encyclopedia of Fantasy Creatures and picked a random critter.
I got the Wokulo:
(Extract from "The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic" )

"In the folklore of Mali in Africa, Wokulo is a dwarf about 3 ft high. The Wokulu are said to have large heads with abundant hair...although it is difficult to say how this is known since the Wokulo is invisible! In addition to their invisibility, the Wokulo can see through walls and trees, making them super-alert to dangers. They like stealing food. Despite their diminutive size, Wokulos are strong enough to throw a man in wrestling bouts. They cannot easily be tracked."

Why did my sceptical mind think "Are they not misidentifying baboons or apes?" so this African dwarf got a baboon like face, with eyes similar to those deep sea fish for his super sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment