Sunday 21 November 2010

The Harpy Celaeno: Part 1 (Blood Moon)

ArtRage, I LOVE YOU! You're so fun and textured! *rubs metaphorical skin of ArtRage*

Using Beagle's book as inspiration for the colour scheme I thought a warm palette, blood reds and bronze/golds.
"A bloodshot moon burst out of the clouds, and the unicorn saw her- swollen gold, her streaming hair kindling, the cold, slow wings shaking the cage. The harpy was laughing."

Seeing as the moon was bloodshot I thought I'd make the sky bloodshot too. I think I've been watching too much of the Batman and Hellsing Anime (as their sky's are red and it works well to set a horror theme to their settings.)
As ArtRage doesn't have a Mask tool, I was stumped on how to make a perfect circle for the moon. Using the brush was a no-no, as its set as an oval and would appear as a splat rather than a stamp (like in PhotoShop). Luckily I happened to remember playing with the Stencil tool (which can be seen at the bottom of the screen-cap to the right) and it had some circles there. Using photo reference I used the brush to blend in red,orange and reddish pink for the moon's colour then the Pen tool for the dark craters and finally some fine Pencil marks for the furrows and smaller marks. The end result was very pleasing, I think, and all done under 5min. I doubt it would have been that quick in PhotoShop.

No comments:

Post a Comment